Re: archival experiences

I don't know why I just love these stories (Roy Webb).  My
favorite was that I arrived in Pensacola in 1981...just as a
housewife who went door-to-door beat out the local
good-ole-boy in the major legislative election.  I got a call
to visit the defeated politician's office and pick up some
gifts for the library.   They were government documents;
I stayed around and talked with the staff about getting his
records (he'd been in the legislature for awhile), but I
was told that EVERYTHING was coming out of the files
and carefully being torn into pieces (Office Depot was not
here yet with their sales on shredders)...because "no
$%^&^%$ woman was going to beat him, and he'd be
d&*)ed if he was going to leave her anything!!   Every
appeal I made--history, his record, etc.--all fell on deaf
ears....I heard later that nothing was left, just empty
furniture.

But I have also had the delight in the past year or so of
having someone call me about picking up their records
and there on the top of the pile was a letter I had written
in the fall of 1981 asking for their materials (so I figure
being remembered after nineteen years must count for
something)!

Dean

Dean DeBolt
University Librarian
Special Collections and West Florida Archives
John C. Pace Library
University of West Florida
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL  32514-5750
Tele:  850-474-2213;   Fax:  850-474-3338