From: Roy Webb [mailto:rwebb@LIBRARY.UTAH.EDU]
Sent: Wednesday, May 24, 2000 2:14 AM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: Re: archival experiences

> I don't know why I just love these stories (Roy Webb).

I like to tell and read stories because, as one of my favorite
historians (Barbara Tuchman) said, "history is 5/7 story."  Without
the personal element it's just not as interesting to me.  And
thanks, Dean, for the kind words!  I notice one person
unsubscribed on receipt of that message, yikes!  But we can't all
be totally aloof and professional all the time, can we?

> But I have also had the delight in the past year or so of
> having someone call me about picking up their records
> and there on the top of the pile was a letter I had written
> in the fall of 1981 asking for their materials (so I figure
> being remembered after nineteen years must count for
> something)!

I was going through these photographs I just got from the
gentleman, and there was a bunch from a Democratic party
fundraiser about fifteen years ago; I recognized a couple of people
from the library, and sure enough, in the next picture there I was!
Dark hair (no gray!), trimmer waistline and all; that was strange,
seeing yourself in a photo collection.

Back to work,

> Dean
>
> Dean DeBolt
> University Librarian
> Special Collections and West Florida Archives
> John C. Pace Library
> University of West Florida
> 11000 University Parkway
> Pensacola, FL  32514-5750
> Tele:  850-474-2213;   Fax:  850-474-3338

Roy Webb, C.A.
Multimedia Archivist
Special Collections
J. Willard Marriott Library