Re: large-scale digital storage

The other thing about tape backup is that you can buy (if you've got the dough)
a large, multi-tape unit that will supposedly give you access to all of your
files relatively quickly.  I looked into this a little, and it seems there are
tapes that will hold about 2 gig of information, and I also saw that some of
these multi-tape units will give you between 9-13 meg per second retrieval.  I'm
not positive about that, and I don't know what it means in practical terms for
picture access, but it is one approach.

The other thing I got from a recent electronic records workshop is the only
cartridges that have been rigorously tested and conform to any kind of national
standard are the 3480, 3490, or 3590 tapes.  Several companies make them, but I
couldn't say which are better or worse.

DS