Re: mouse droppings

I just had a similar conversation a week or so ago with a colleague at the
Pikes Peak Library District.  At the time, I suggested she contact the
Center for Disease Control at http://www.cdc.gov/, they have an A-Z list of
horrible diseases and ways to prevent them.  They also have an email hotline
for questions.  She did contact them and the upshot is that the hantavirus
lasts only for a short time, a few days at most.  As her records had been
stored, unopened, in the library for more than a year the collection was no
longer dangerous (just icky). If the collection is more recent, you might
contact the CDC to see if freezing kills the virus.  Perhaps we should get a
definitive response from the CDC--about all possibilities and ways to
protect ourselves--posted to the list.  I think it might be a useful
addition the list archives.

What other dangers are out there lurking?  Maybe a conference session with
an OSHA representative would be useful.

Anne L. Foster
Archival Fellow
Center of Southwest Studies