Re: query: conversion of 16mm film to video

Hi Bridgett,

What you've got are home movies from very early years of the medium (16mm
was introduced to the public by Eastman Kodak in 1923).  They are on
"reversal" film (no negative in the process) and likely on a di-acetate
base.  That smell you notice is probably "Vinegar Syndrome" (or acid
hydrolysis), which means it's slowly eating itself away.  There are probably
other associated problems with the film as well, such as shrinking and
warping.  You can arrest the degradation with cold storage (25-03 degrees F
and 35-45% RH), but you can't cure it.  The only way to really give the
images a fighting chance is to have a reputable lab make a dupe negative on
modern 16mm polyester filmstock (which then becomes the "preservation
master") and a new positive "answer print," also on polyester stock, which
becomes the "use" copy.   A video transfer from that new positive can then
be made (VHS is fine, but you should also consider Digital Beta, the latest
broadcast industry standard).

Now, nothing's preventing you from making the video copy off the original
first and waiting on the other preservation work,  although the film WILL
GET WORSE if not put in cold storage.  If you have a useable video copy, you
can sometimes more easily excite potential funders about ponying up the cash
for the full-blown preservation.  Also, check the website of the National
Film Preservation Foundation (www.filmpreservation.org) -- they give grants
for just such preservation work, if they feel the images merit it.  In any
case, send the film to a reputable lab well versed in dealing with archival
footage -- and make sure they use a Rank-Cintel wet-gate system for transfer
(this is extremely kind on old film).  There are several such labs around
the country, but I'm not sure about Ohio (although when it comes down to it,
it really doesn't matter how far away it is!).  You might want to revise
your request and post it on the Association of Moving Image Archivists
listserv (submit the message to AMIA-L@LSV.UKY.EDU and make sure you ask
them to reply directly to you, since you won't be subscribed) to see if
anyone in your area has suggestions for a lab they trust.  I'll be glad to
suggest a few if you want to give me a call.  Good luck!

-Paul

Paul J. Eisloeffel
Curator of Manuscripts and Audio-Visual Collections
Nebraska State Historical Society
P.O. Box 82554
Lincoln, NE 68501
(402) 471-4750