Acquisition story

We got our very first donation, the papers (or what remained of them) of
the first superintendent of the hospital in a roundabout way.

Our vice president (also a hearty supporter of our program) told a
fellow Rotary Club member, a dentist, about the initiation of our
archives and history program.  Somehow one of his patients learned of it
and told him that she had recently seen what looked like blueprints for
the original hospital building (since torn down) in an estate sale at
his former home.  (The daughter-in-law of the long-dead superintendent
had gone on to live in a nursing home and was not approachable--that is,
not all there).  The remaining family belongings were auctioned off and
the family home was put up for sale.  Our "dental patient" tracked down
the buyers of the blueprints and because of the interest, the new owners
of the home came across additional items in the attic and donated them
to us as well.  There wasn't much, but it was definitely worthwhile.

But for the timing, our getting the word out, and the efforts of these
individuals, these items probably would have been tossed.

Leslie Wagner
Archivist
Methodist Hospitals of Dallas