Re: EAD Software?

Not sure if their opinion counts to archivists, but several of the developers on staff here think XMetal is the best SGML editor for a number of reasons, including it's easy for non-techies to use.  I'd be curious to hear what other archivists think, though!

Heather Willever-Farr
Manager, Archives and Records Management
American College of Physicians - American Society of Internal Medicine
Philadelphia, PA
hwillever-farr@mail.acponline.org
215-351-2470

>>> Amy Cooper <alcooper@USD.EDU> 05/30 11:49 AM >>>
Dear List,

At the risk of starting a firestorm, I'd like to ask for advice on locating
and using EAD software.  I've been conducting some preliminary research
into the software available for EAD, and have found more questions than
answers.  I started looking in the Archives of the list and found some
information dating back to 1997.  The program with which I am familiar,
Author/Editor, seems to have been discontinued -- it moved from SoftQuad to
Interleaf which was acquired by BroadVision, which informed me that they
are discontinuing the product.  Internet Archivist, which caused some stir
on the list late last year, is not selling any new contracts as they
reconsider the impact of XML on the program.  There are XML authoring
products, such as XMetal, but I have little experience with these.  How are
they being used?

My question for the list is this:  for a relatively small Archives and
Special Collections, what are the best options for EAD software and
creating EAD Finding Aids?  What solutions are other smaller Archives
using? This area is changing so quickly that it's difficult at best to keep
up with the changes and make a wise decision for an Archives on a limited
budget.

All responses will be appreciated.

Regards,
Amy Cooper