patron handling practices for mold

After the recent "droppings" line of discussion, I have another unsavory
topic --

I'd like to hear from archivists who have written or unwritten policies on
patron handling of mold-damaged and/or infected collections.

There are many variables to this scenario -- the material/collection could
be processed, or unprocessed.  The material could be already quaranteened
with identified mold, or newly discovered mold as the collection is
brought to use.  It is not what we like to see, but occasionally mold is
an issue at the patron use level.  This will obviously prompt staff action
for collection preservation or stacks review, but what do you do for the
patron who wants to use the material, no matter what?

I think guidelines for staff handling and treatment are readily available,
and I know mold has been the topic of recent workshops (CCAHA) and
articles (Abbey Newsletter).  But does anyone have policies or practices
regarding patron issues?  Do you deny access completely?  Do you run
outdoors and brush off the material in the sunshine, then bring it back to
the reading room?  Do you say, oh wait a minute, let me make a
preservation xerox of that moldy newsclipping and throw away the original?
Do you allow use with gloves and masks? Do you provide warnings or ask
about allergy sensitivity?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

L. Rebecca Johnson Melvin
Special Collections