Re: railroad records

Dear Ms. Pospisil,

I checked the records we hold from the Railroad Commission and a few other
sources and was unable to locate any information about how much cotton was
shipped out of Flatonia from the 1880s to the mid-1950s.  We do not have any
bills of laden or shipping lists, just correspondence, annual reports, and
tariffs - which set rates, but do not give the tonnage of materials shipped.
Your best bet would be to locate the records of the railroads in question
and see if they have any records which provide that information.  You might
also check at the DeGolyer Library at Southern Methodist University as they
have a good collection of railroad records.  Please let us know if you have
any further questions.

Sincerely,

Laura K. Saegert
Appraisal Archivist
Archives and Information Services Division
Library and Archives Commission
P.O. Box 12927
Austin, TX  78711-2927
512-463-5500