Student Job Descriptions

Hi All,
    I have been asked to come up with hierarchical job descriptions for
student assistants.  The library director would like four levels designating
increasing responsibility.  The presumed goal is to pay them better.
    I have a very small shop here and everybody does essentially the same
thing. I can't fit more than four students working at the same time and
everyone removes staples, everyone gives tours, everyone does reference,
everyone does "data entry." It is simply that some people have more
experience, more willingness to learn, and a stronger work ethic than
others.  Not exactly the sort of thing that can be put in a job description.
My only distinction between students is the pay rate which doesn't vary much
between top and bottom.  I really can't see how to do this without locking
people into jobs.  Since they are students, I would like the flexibility to
vary the jobs so that they are not "racked with boredom"<vbg>, especially in
the summer.  Any suggestions would be very welcome.

    Thanks,

    Rip

R. C. Rybnikar
Babson College Archives
Babson Park, MA  02457
Rybnikar@Babson.Edu  781 239 4570

"The true test of character is not how much we know
 how to do, but how we behave when we don't know
 what to do."
-----John Holt