Re: special collections question

Christine:  I am in the position of dealing with rare books as well as
archives and have faced the same question.  I found the ACRL Standards
website helpful at http://www.ala.org/acrl/guides/index.html.  Another
really helpful site is the RBMS Bibliographic Standards Committee site at
http://www.library.upenn.edu/ipc/rarecat.html.  Good luck. LMc

At 11:02 AM 6/9/00 -0400, you wrote:
>This is not quite germane to the list, but I'm not on any kind of
>special collections listserve, and I know that many academic
>archivists do special collections as well. I am in the process of
>starting a special collection of books published by the Culinary
>Institute and its faculty. This will be kept in the rare books room,
>with limited access, as a sort of archive of what the Institute has
>published over the years.
>
>I am wondering how much or how little to mark up these books. So far,
>I have only written an accession number on the back flyleaf. Do people
>with similar collections use property stamps in them at all?
>

>Christine Crawford-Oppenheimer
>Special Collections Librarian/Archivist
>
>(note change of address as of May 2000)
>Culinary Institute of America
>1946 Campus Drive
>Hyde Park, NY  12538
>(914) 451-1757
>c_crawfo@culinary.edu
>
>A posting from the Archives & Archivists LISTSERV List!

>      In body of message:  SUB ARCHIVES firstname lastname
>                    *or*:  UNSUB ARCHIVES

>     http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/archives.html
>
>Problems?  Send e-mail to Robert F Schmidt <rschmidt@lib.muohio.edu>

"He who destroyes a good Booke, kills reason it selfe"

Dr. Laura McLemore, CA
College Archivist
Austin College
Suite 6L