Thanks

I want to thank all of you who responded so passionately on the issue of
"permanent loans" versus "gifts."

We have added a clause to our form stipulating that the loan will be
accepted only with the understanding, agreed to by signing of the document,
that no later than five years after the signing of the loan agreement the
donor will formally present the collection to us as a gift outright. There
is also an "in case of death" clause stipulating that in case of death the
loan automatically becomes a gift outright.

Again, thanks for your help.

Jeffrey S. Cramer
Curator of Collections
The Thoreau Institute