Re: on-line auctions

> Is anyone aware of archives, public or private, using on-line auctions
> such as eBay or Amazon to deaccession or acquire items (e.g., records,
> reference sources, ephemera)?  I'm particularly interested in the legal
> and ethical issues raised by this relatively new technology for both
> archives and (potential) donors.  Please respond to me directly.  If
> enough people are interested, I'd be happy to summarize the responses I
> receive.

I have used ebay and other online auction sites as a reference point for
items pertaining to my "employers."  It is sometimes amusing to see
"genuine" documents online in which the seller contends to be selling an
"autographed letter" when (usually in the cases of Governor Nelson
Rockefeller) it is autopen signed.  I have however alos seen ebay-described
"great collection" items of Rockefeller memorabilia for auction.  It is
interesting to see who is bidding on them and keep track of items available.

We also had a situation here recently where a researcher who had visited the
Archvie Center turned around (after completing all of his research) and
attempted to sell his photocopies he had received from us on Ebay.  A quick
e-mail to the gentleman and said auction was suddenly suspended.

    John "never turns down a bargain" LeGloahec

John LeGloahec                       RAC Telephone (914) 631-4505
Archivist                                  Direct Line/Voice Mail (914)
366-6344
Rockefeller Archive Center      Fax (914) 631-6017
15 Dayton Avenue                   e-mail: legloaj@mail.rockefeller.edu
Sleepy Hollow, New York       http://www.rockefeller.edu/archive.ctr/
          10591-1598

     "Endeavour to live so that when we come to die
          even the undertaker will be sorry."
                           - Mark Twain