VIRUS ALERT - "Life Stages"

HEADS UP, EVERYONE - INCOMING!!!   :)
This has been forwarded by our systems administrator - not a man given to
hysteria.   ttfn - Jill.

Jill L Schneider
USGS - Alaska Technical Data Unit
907-786-7457
jschnidr@usgs.gov
http://tundra.wr.usgs.gov/wrmrsAK/

----- Forwarded by Jill L Schneider/GD/USGS/DOI on 06/20/2000 11:13 AM
-----

                    Tom Alan
                    Polak                To:     GS-G-AKanc MRT
                                         cc:
                    06/20/2000           Subject:     VIRUS ALERT
                    10:51 AM

Folks,
     I am forwarding a new VIRUS ALERT that I was just informed of by our
AVO colleague Seth Moran.   I have included a web link here
http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-2108936.html with the latest news and
information on the attack
     Follow the advisories and DO NOT OPEN any new mail that contains the
Subject matter indicated below.
     Stay informed!

     Tom
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Tom Polak                                      ph.  907.786.7412
US Geological Survey                     fax   907.786.7401
Minerals Resource Team - Alaska
4200 University Dr.
Anchorage, Alaska (AK) 99508

e-mail address: tpolak@usgs.gov

*** Timing has an awful lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance! ***

----- Forwarded by Tom Alan Polak/GD/USGS/DOI on 06/20/2000 10:29 AM -----

                    Seth C Moran
                                         To:     csearcy@ibm.net, chris@usgs.gov,
                    06/20/2000           allbrigh@usgs.gov, djschneider@usgs.gov,
                    09:17 AM             rbmoore@usgs.gov, mcgimsey@usgs.gov,
                                         jpaskie@usgs.gov, jpower@usgs.gov,
                                         kwallace@usgs.gov, smoran@usgs.gov,
                                         tplucin@usgs.gov, Christina Neal@USGS,
                                         tmiller@usgs.gov, Tom Alan Polak/GD/USGS/DOI@USGS
                                         cc:
                                         Subject:     new virus alert

McAfee has issued an update concerning a new email virus - LIFE_STAGES.
This virus is sent with a possible of 12 different subject lines and
includes a LIFE_STAGES.TXT.SHS attachment.  Unfortunately Windows 95/98
does
not show the *.SHS extension even if your system is set to show all
extensions, so the file only looks like LIFE_STAGES.TXT.
Possible subjects are:
Examples:
Subject = "Funny"
Subject = "FW: Jokes text"
Subject = "Life stages"
The recipients are "blind carbon copied" or "bcc".
WHAT TO DO:   Delete any email message that contains the attachment
LIFE_STAGES.TXT.