From: Rhode, Michael G. [mailto:RHODE@AFIP.OSD.MIL]
Sent: 22 June, 2000 10:12 AM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: Re: re job opening - National Museum of Health and Medicine

I've gotten a couple of well-meaning emails continuing to wonder about the
salary history requirement.  I've been reminded that the basic answer,
beyond the winnowing process, is probably that the Federal Gov't has always
required salary histories on the SF-171 form, up until very recently .  The
open job is a "trust fund" position, and not a gov't position, but they
still obviously take their clues from the gov't system.  I really am not the
person to justify why anything is or isn't done in the gov't personnel
system.

I'm sure this has been more than anyone wants to know (being on digest I'll
find out tomorrow).

Mike Rhode