Re: tuition discounts

Am I missing something here? Boston University provides tuition remission for
full time employees.  However,  for graduate school classes  the tuition
remission is considered taxable.  So if you take 1 class at $5000.  and you make
$20,000. a year.  You get taxed on $25,000. worth of income.  This is still
incredibly cheap (equals out to about $800. per class), but with a chunk of
money taken out of the piggy bank every week for half the year, it can be tough.
I don't know if this is the best policy or if it is common among Universities,
but it is getting me through a Masters in American History.  Even if it is on
the VERY slow train.
Alex Rankin
Archivist