Re: tuition discounts

Alex Rankin wrote:

> Am I missing something here? Boston University provides tuition remission for
> full time employees.  However,  for graduate school classes  the tuition
> remission is considered taxable.

Alex,
This is a Congress thing.  For some reason it can't make up its collective mind
about whether graduate subsidies are taxable or not and it changes every couple of
years.  However, these expenses are tax deductible if the education is necessary to
keep your current job but is taxable if the education is to prepare you for a new
job.  Go figure.  Congress figures its better you remain an educated slave than
better yourself and move upstream (and pay higher taxes).  Dick King, University of
Arizona
begin:vcard
n:King;Richard
tel;fax:520.889.5660