converting old home movies

Hello,

We have a number of old home movies, some 8 mm, some 16, and so on here.
We started out wanting to get copies made for the family that donated
one group, and now we are thinking of possibly converting them into a
digital format (keeping the originals, of course) so that they can be
used in productions, etc., for the institution.  I am looking for
advice; has anyone had this done with films in their collection?  Were
the results good?  Would you do it again or recommend it to anyone else?
What format did you use and were you able to find a person to do this
locally?  (Yep, I'm full of questions!)  You can respond off-list
(unless anyone else jumps in wanting the info. too.)  Any advice would
be appreciated.
Thanks!

Michelle Mumaw
Archivist/Librarian