From: Mark Lambert [mailto:mlambert@STCL.EDU]
Sent: Tuesday, June 27, 2000 10:56 AM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: Capping (canopies) over shelving

Folks:
The management here just matter of factly told me that in ALL of the
shelving we are getting for our main collection in our new library
building (presently being built), there will be no capping, or canopy,
over the top shelf of books, for *aesthetic* and financial reasons.
Fortunately, Special Collections shelving will have capping since the
ceilings will be lower in my area, and thus capping necessitated by the
fire code.

Since I am the defacto Preservation Librarian here, and would like to
argue for capping for all shelves for preservation purposes, has anyone
had a similar experience, and would they like to relate it?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Mark

Mark Lambert
Special Collections and Government Documents Librarian
South Texas College of Law Library
Houston, TX