From: Lucinda Glenn Rand [mailto:lglenn@GTU.EDU]
Sent: Wednesday, June 28, 2000 7:31 AM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: Re: lying with pixels

A friend has a book (can't remember the title now) about how the Soviet
Union used photographs to eliminate people and change history.  If you were
in with Stalin at a certain time, you were in the picture.  Later, you were
purged from life, and you were purged from the picture too.  They have
wonderful examples of photos with and without people, and the various
captions given the variations of the photo by the powers that be.

Fascinating.

Lucinda Glenn Rand
Graduate Theological Union Archives
Berkeley, CA