The Patriot

This movie has been much-discussed on the civil war reenactors list I
belong to, and now it seems to be coming up here a good deal too.
What I have gathered from the cw listserv is that the movie is pretty
good, and the accuracy discrepancies have not made those posters nuts
(no, all British troops did not wear red-coats), which is usually a
positive sign.  Mel Gibson's character is a fictionalized Francis Marion
(Swamp Fox).  Rather than owning slaves, he has black freedmen working
for him, and rather than killing Indians, he is friends with them.
The violence in the movie (and critics response to it) has been much
discussed as well.  Considering how the real war was very nasty and very
much a civil war, no one has expressed the thought that the violence is
over-done or anything less than realistic.  Of course we are all
disappointed (somewhat) that once again, Hollywood cannot seem to
combine historical accuracy with good entertainment (I still believe it
is possible!).
I am eager to see the movie, but I do plan to brush up on my rev war
history first.  That said, it's off to the library with me!

Michelle Mumaw
Archivist/Librarian
Minnetrista Cultural Center
&Oakhurst Gardens