Re: Police Archives

James,

The State Police for the State of New Jersey have an archives and museum. If you are interested in contacting them, they can be reached at :

New Jersey State Police
P.O. Box 7068
West Trenton, NJ 08628-0068
USA

Telephone: 609) 882-2000

Good luck,
Albin Wagner

James King wrote:

  I am a recently qualified archivist from Britain currently working towards my MSc in archive administration. The subject of my research is the preservation and disposition of the archives of police and law enforcement agencies, with comparisons being made between organisations in the UK, the USA, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the Republic of Ireland (all of whom follow a broadly similar model of policing). I have already contacted a large number of police organisations, and I would be very interested to hear from any archivists whose repositories hold police/law enforcement materials (either official records or unofficial materials such as photos, officers' notebooks, police social club records etc). Essentially, I am interested in what sort of materials you hold, where you got them from and whether you receive regular deposits from the creating agencies (and if so, whether you have any input in selecting what is to be preserved). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks James Kingjames@whippoorwill.freeserve.co.uk
begin:          vcard
fn:             Albin Wagner, CA, CRM
n:              Wagner, CA, CRM;Albin
org:            New Jersey Division of Archives and Records Management
adr:            2300 Stuyvesant Ave.;;;Trenton;NJ;08618;USA
email;internet: awagner@darm.sos.state.nj.us
title:          Chief, Bureau of Records Management
tel;work:       609-530-3204
tel;fax:        609-530-6121
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: TRUE