Re: History, accuracy and movies

The discussion of accuracy in movies and TV reminds me of something which
happened a number of years ago when I was employed by the Canadian Department
of National Defence's Directorate of History dealing with inquiries
concerning Canadian military history.  We were approached by someone who
indicated that they were interested in making a movie which dealt with
Canadian commando units in the Second World War, and they wanted our advice
about the uniforms as they wanted to be totally accurate.  When I informed
the inquirer that there were no Canadian commando units during the Second
Wolrd War there was a moments silence, and then they came back with something
like "Oh - well bearing in mind that we want the film to be totally accurate
- what uniforms would they have worn had there been Canadian Commando units?"

I think that I suggested pink tutus - after all if we were just making it up,
why not have fun with it, and can't you see the commandoes stealthy approach
to the French coast with their pink frills coordinating with their grey sten
guns.

Daniel  German

NB  The above comments and opinions are teh author's own and do not reflect
those of his employers