Re: accuracy and the Patriot

I too saw the Patriot this weekend.  I will agree with Steve that the film
very violent.  In some scenes in would have been more than appropriate to
shut ones eyes.  While it is true that the film was riddled with
historical inaccuracies and had a plot that was somewhat lacking, I still
enjoyed the film.  The inaccuracies in the film made for great late night
discussion at local pizza joint with friends.  The point I think I am
trying make is rather than raking the film over the coals we should
encourage techers to show the film in the appropriate context if they
choose to use it as a teaching as Richard suggests that they might.  They
should be given materials that would help them teach their students about
the historical inaccuracies in the film.  In the end it is more than just a
movie because people will accept it as the truth and we as historians and
archivists need to be ready to combat these beliefs.

Andy Vinovskis
Information Resolution Assistant II
Serials Recording Division
Harlan Hatcher Graduate Library