        From:   Andris A. Vinovskis [SMTP:avinovsk@UMICH.EDU]
        Sent:   Monday, July 03, 2000 6:32 AM
        To:     ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
        Subject:        Re: accuracy and the Patriot

        I too saw the Patriot this weekend.  I will agree with Steve that
the film
        very violent.  In some scenes in would have been more than
appropriate to
        shut ones eyes.  While it is true that the film was riddled with
        historical inaccuracies and had a plot that was somewhat lacking, I
still
        enjoyed the film.  The inaccuracies in the film made for great late
night
        discussion at local pizza joint with friends.  The point I think I
am
        trying make is rather than raking the film over the coals we should
        encourage techers to show the film in the appropriate context if
they
        choose to use it as a teaching as Richard suggests that they might.
They
        should be given materials that would help them teach their students
about
        the historical inaccuracies in the film.  In the end it is more than
just a
        movie because people will accept it as the truth and we as
historians and
        archivists need to be ready to combat these beliefs.

        Andy Vinovskis
        Information Resolution Assistant II
        Serials Recording Division
        Harlan Hatcher Graduate Library