Re: History....and we all know Archivists are NOT historians

Dear colleagues:

I may not end up becoming an archivist (being more into the 3-dimensional,
bigger chunks of history, via Historic Preservation) but lemme' tell ya,'
even the pulling from stacks and putting away of precious documents like
California's earliest legislative bills, Californio disuenos maps of the
1840s and '50s, or the highly artful preliminary drawings for the State
House (circa mid-1860s) is sometimes cause for gooseflesh! This feeling of
privelege is only intensified as the Golden State is in the midst of its
Sesquicentennnial anniversary.

So much has changed in this massive state, but in handling the collections,
one can get the most profound sense of connection to our amazing past and
political history.

Although I had learned a long time back the inestimable value of primary
source materials, I am still amazed at people (and students) who want to
perform "research" using secondary and lesser resources!  I,for one, will
never again waste much time seeking out books for reference and research,
unless the title is rare or ancient.

Viva la "big dig" for quality research! And Joyous Independence Day to all!

Kevin (where are all the Archives patrons today?!) Bunker
Student Assistant
California State Archives