Re: History....and we all know Archivists are NOT historians

"Bunker, Kevin" wrote:

> (snip)...but lemme' tell ya,' even the pulling from stacks and putting away of
> precious documents ...(snip)... is sometimes cause for gooseflesh! This
> feeling of
> privelege is only intensified as the Golden State is in the midst of its
> Sesquicentennnial anniversary.

I am convinced that we are even more privileged than historians.  They just
don't know it.

> Although I had learned a long time back the inestimable value of primary
> source materials, I am still amazed at people (and students) who want to
> perform "research" using secondary and lesser resources!

The pity is that many of these "researchers" are working on advanced
degrees...I've often wondered how one can possibly write a thesis, much less a
dissertation, without using any primary sources.  Yet it seems to be done all
the time.

> Kevin (where are all the Archives patrons today?!) Bunker

FInding other ways to celebrate the day of the Patriot.  As for me, I'll go home
and read a family journal about the daughter of a Revolutionary officer
(Virginian) who was also the first man to introduce legislation to abolish
slavery--in 1783.

Sigh, it's been published, so as a book it's available to many.  I'd give
anything for the original.

Holly