Re: Query: Non-Library reporting structure

> Do you feel you have more or less visibility, and thus support, for your
> department than you might if you were part of the library?

Our university archive is housed physically in the library and housed
administratively in University Relations. Maybe this is the best of both
worlds.

> What impact has your reporting structure had on issues such as your
> budget . . .staffing . . . storage, public, and work space?

More money has been available through UR than through the library. UR
includes the Development Office; the VP for UR knows how to find money for
special projects (such as remodeling the archive area and installing mobile
shelving), through that is not to say that lots of money is always
available. It is not.

> Do you feel reporting to another office has affected, for better or
> worse, access to the collections by students, alumni, and the public?

Being under UR has probably increased access by alumni, since Alumni
Relations is another UR department. Also, UR staff are regular users. At the
same time, we get along well with the library staff, who also send folks to
us.

We are in the process of rethinking positioning the archives
administratively. We may decide that staying in University Relations is
best, although we might consider placing it under the Office of the Provost
or the President. We want to be in a department that serves all areas of the
university. Our main library, serving undergrads and graduate students, but
not the law students, is not quite right in that regard. Also, the library's
mission differs from that of the archive. We are serving the past, present,
and future and users beyond just current students and faculty. Libraries,
especially those at smaller academic institutions, concentrate primarily on
current users.

Thelma Boeder, archivist, Hamline University