Re: NHPRC Seeks Host Institution for 2001-2002 Archival Administration Fellowship

Nancy,
I would like to submit a proposal for an NHPRC Host Institution fellowship
for us.  If you're interested in working with me on this, it would be a nice
item on your resume (assuming we succeed, of course).  I think we should
have a pretty good chance, although NHPRC only has one Host Institution
fellowship right now.  I imagine the competition is pretty stiff.  Anyhow, I
plan to submit a proposal.  Let me know if you're interested.
Bill

At 10:48 AM 7/14/00 -0400, you wrote:
>FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
>July 14, 2000
>
> CONTACT:
>
> Ann C. Newhall, Executive Director
> National Historical Publications and Records Commission
> National Archives and Records Administration
> 700 Pennsylvania Ave., NW, Room 111
> Washington, DC 20408-0001
>

>NHPRC SEEKS HOST INSTITUTION FOR 2001-2002
>FELLOWSHIP IN ARCHIVAL ADMINISTRATION
>
>For the 2001-2002 year, the National Historical Publications and Records
Commission (NHPRC) is offering one fellowship in archival administration.
The Commission is now accepting applications from archival repositories
interested in serving as host institutions.  Non-profit organizations, State
and local government agencies, and Federally acknowledged or
State-recognized Native American tribes or groups are eligible to apply.
The position will focus on active hands-on experience in administration and
management.

>The application should be post-marked no later that October 1, 2000.
>
>The Commission views the fellowship as an opportunity for professional
archivists with two to five years' experience to gain new or additional
experience with archival administrative procedures and problems.  Archives
interested in applying to serve as host institutions should be able to
expose the fellow to a wide variety of archival administrative experiences,
as well as formal management or supervisory training, during the nine to
twelve months the fellow will be associated with the host's program.  In
addition, the project director should be a mentor to the fellow and take an
active role in the fellow's development.

>The fellow's stipend is $35,000, with a benefit payment of $8,750.  Host
institutions are awarded $1,500 to interview prospective applicants and to
use for the fellow's professional travel during the fellowship year.

>The host institution will be chosen by December 1, 2000.  Applications for
prospective fellows will be made available at that time.  Applications from
potential fellows are due by March 1, 2001.

>The Commission encourages any interested archives to contact the Commission
staff to discuss the fellowship program and for assistance with the
application process.

>Interested organizations may request fellowship guidelines and application
forms by mail, telephone, fax, or e-mail:

staff at (202) 501-5610, ext. 252, or by e-mail at: michael.meier@arch1.nara.gov