Indiana State Archives is Moving

 Indiana Commission on Public Records-
 Indiana State Archives Division-
 Notice to Researchers-
 State Archives Move in 2000-

The Indiana Commission on Public Records announces State Archives will move in 2000
The temporary move to 6400 E. 30th Street in Indianapolis should begin this summer and take about 2 months. Full service to patrons should only be interrupted for a few days at the end of the move. We will try to maintain our reputation for first class service, but there may be slight delays in the delivery of research material during the move. Our e-mail contact which accounts for more than 20% of our requests will remain in operation for the duration of the move.

The new location, about 7 miles northeast of the present downtown location, will have free parking, room for more patrons, and will allow the removal of all our records out of the basement. The temporary move is necessary to make room for a 16 million dollar renovation of the Indiana State Library Building.

State Archives Move Update, June 26, 2000.

The move budget was approved last week and the move date will be late September or early October. If you are planning a visit during this time, please call the Archives prior to traveling to Indianapolis. The new location will feature a new critical records vault, new electronic shelving for Archives stacks and an improved security system. More space is planned for our volunteers, also. Please feel free to call or e-mail if you have any suggestions or questions.

F. Gerald Handfield, Jr.
State Archivist
317-232-3373

This is the only information available at this time. Watch this site for regular updates on the move: www.state.in.us/icpr. Thanks for your patience and support.

Planning a trip to the State Archives for research? Please call or contact us via e-mail to confirm our new location and new hours of operation. Our phone number is (317) 232-3660 and e-mail is arc@icpr.state.in.us.