4 archival positions in Chicago

(please don't respond to me directly - I'm taking off on a three week
vacation! Direct all resumes, inquiries etc to the Human Resources Dept.,
listed below) (and yes, we do list the salaries)

Bart

Archival  Positions at The Art Institute of  Chicago

The Art Institute
>of Chicago's Ryerson  & Burnham Libraries hold a significant collection of
>American architects'  and artists' papers of the 19th-20th centuries.
>Funding from the Andrew W.  Mellon Foundation will support a 4 year
>project to arrange and describe  uncatalogued collections; write finding
>aids for these collections and review  and edit existing finding aids;
>convert finding aids to EAD format;   stabilize and conserve collections
>as necessary; and digitize images from  the collections for the museum's
>Web Site.   Applicants are sought for the following  four positions:

>LEAD PROJECT ARCHIVIST  will direct the project; hire and train staff;
>establish procedures,  goals, and schedules; monitor and evaluate vendor
>performance; consult with  Conservation Librarian to establish appropriate
>treatments and procedures;  consult with Systems Librarian to determine
>technical environment and equipment  specifications and procedures; survey
>and process collections.  Reports to  the Ryerson & Burnham Archivist.
>Salary: $38,000 plus benefits.   Qualifications:  MLS or graduate degree
>in related field; knowledge of  19th-20th American art and architecture;
>minimum of four years of relevant  archival experience, including
>supervisory responsibilities; experience with  digital projects and EAD
>conversion.

MC/LAH   PROJECT ARCHIVIST,  reporting to the Lead Project
>Archivist, will survey and process archival  collections; write finding
>aids, review and update existing finding aids; review  vendors
>EAD conversion of finding aids; identify, document and resolve  copyright
>issues.  Salary: $30, 000 plus benefits.   Qualifications:  MLS or
>graduate degree in related field, minimum two years  experience in
>processing archives; experience with digital projects and EAD  conversion
>preferred.  MC/PJH.

PROJECT ASSISTANTS  (two positions) will assist in
>processing papers and preparing  inventories; rehouse materials, including
>performing routine preservation  procedures; create and input metadata for
>digital images; scan documents and  review for quality control.  Salary:
>$24,500 plus benefits.   Qualifications: undergraduate degree; word
>processing skills; archival experience, experience with database
>construction and  digital files preferred. MC/PAH   GENERAL INFORMATON:
>Project duration is October 1, 2000 - September 30, 2004.   Appointments
>will not exceed this period.  All positions are full-time, 35  hours/wk,
>and available October 1, 2000, or as arranged.  Salaries will be  reviewed
>and adjusted annually. Ability to lift, move, and shelve packed  record
>storage boxes weighing up to 40 lbs. is required.   TO APPLY: Send letter
>of application, including  curriculum vitae and the names of three
>references to the address below.   Include the MC number of the position
>for which you are applying in the letter  and on the envelope.  Applicants
>for the Lead Project Archivist and Project  Archivist positions should
>include an appropriate sample of professional writing  or work.  Submit
>application materials to Shannon McGinnis, The Art  Institute of Chicago,
>Human Resources Department, 111 South Michigan Avenue,  Chicago, IL
>60603.  EOE

Bart H. Ryckbosch
Archivist
The Art Institute of Chicago