RAIN in Salt Lake City!

[Sorry, Peter, for borrowing your heading, but I figured that would
get people's attention!  And there is, unfortunately, no rain in Salt
Lake City; it's hot and dry.]

Actually good archival news coming out of Salt Lake City this time.
The following appeared in the Saturday, July 22, 2000 issue of the
SL TRIB, on the front page of the Religion section.

RELIGION
                Celebrating the Madeleine,
                She is the keeper of Utah
                Catholic history

http://www.sltrib.com/2000/Jul/07222000/Saturday/Saturday.htm

The story is about Bernice Mooney, who is the archivist for the Salt
Lake City Catholic Diocese, and a very nice person.  If the URL
above doesn't show up as an active link, go to the Salt Lake
Tribune website at http://www.sltrib.com; then go to the
CONTENTS AND PAST EDITIONS bar on the left; click on
Saturday; then go to the Religion page, farther down the menu bar
on the left.  Failing any of that, let me know and I'll email the story.
A nice long, in-depth piece.  I've known Bernice for quite a while,
and actually gave her advice when she started working on her
photograph collections.  I'm glad to see her get the recognition she
so richly deserves.

There was more archival news from Salt Lake in that same edition,
about the SLOC's decision to release all documents from the bid;
but Peter has already covered that.  Also, did anyone else catch
the Travel Channel story on "Secret Berlin?"  We were watching,
because my wife is from Berlin, and among the weirdo-erotic-KitKat-
pubic-hair stylists was an interesting segment about the Marlene
Dietrich archives, which are apparently a private collection
somewhere in Berlin; thousands of pieces of correspondence,
thousands of photographs, hundreds of dresses, 400 hats, 430
pairs of shoes, virtually everything she ever owned, it seemed.  It
seemed to be a pretty well run shot; at least the archivist used
cotton gloves and kept stuff in Holinger boxes.

Roy Webb, C.A.
Multimedia Archivist
Special Collections
J. Willard Marriott Library