Re: Searching for WPA writers...

Perhaps someone in the reading room can help.

Mary

>>> Holly Hodges <holly-hodges@UTC.EDU> 07/22 11:42 AM >>>
Apologies for the formatting difficulties--

A student from the Journalism History list has been trying to find
papers of some WPA writers, preferably those with an identifiable
journalism background.  As you can see, she can find the stuff they
wrote, lots of stuff on the WPA administratively, but not much on
the
background of the writers themselves.  (I snipped out her comments
on
the frustration with stuff she was finding...)

I've gone over with her how to use NUCMC online, but even that's not
especially helpful until she can identify specific names that fit
her
criteria.  With her permission I'm posting her query to the Archives
list.

If you have any suggestions, please contact her directly at
mpitman@mindspring.com

Holly Hodges
UTChattanooga

_____________________________

> What I'm having difficulty finding is information on who the
writers
> were. I went to the National Archives and found lost of info on
some of the problems and
> triumphs of the program, but outside of the administrative honchos,
who were the people that did
> the actual writing? How many were actually news people as opposed
to just people that felt they
> could write and needed a job?

(snip)
The course I'm writing the paper for is History of the News Media.I'm
an
undergrad taking it as
a graduate level class for honors credit. I thought it would be
interesting to look at the
program designed to help out of work writers and editors during the
depression.
Thanks for any help you can give.
Mary Pitman
mpitman@mindspring.com

To subscribe or unsubscribe, send e-mail to
listserv@listserv.muohio.edu