Re: Small Collections

We have kind of a different system here. Archived materials like letters,
notes, etc. are generally filed under the name of the person they are about,
usually a famous pharmacist or a faculty member. Sometimes, it is the name
of a group, such as a pharmacy association. We don't catalog these
materials, but we do create a record in our Access database, which basically
describes the contents of the folder. I create added entries, just like you
would in an online catalog. We have a similar database for our photographs
of graduates, snapshots, etc. We create a main entry under the main person
or other subject of the photograph and then sometimes added entries. The
photographs are organized in archival storage boxes basically according to
size and each box has a letter identifying it (Box A, Box B, etc.). Each
photograph is given an identifying number A-123 (Box A # 123). I have
similar Access databases to keep track of the STLCOP graduates, the data for
which comes from commencement programs, yearbooks, etc. The databases were
created long before I started working here, but I have modified them a great
deal. The photographs database, for example, contains information for the
name/subject of the photograph, date or approximate date (if we know it),
description of the photograph, and the identifying number. Most of our
archived journals have been catalogued just like the rest of our journals.
We are working on getting them reorganized, though. I know this is not how a
purist would do it, but it works for us.

Barbara M. Allen, M.L.S.
O.J. Cloughly Alumni Library
St. Louis College of Pharmacy
4588 Parkview Place