Re: Book Preservation

Rikki,
You might first check to see what it would cost to replace with better copies.
Run the titles on Bookfinder.com and see if replacement copies are available.
If not you need to talk to a professional book restorer.  Depending on what
they are rebinding costs could run from $125 to $200 per volume.  If they can
just be recased the cost might be lower.  If you can't find replacements and
they are printed on highly acidic, wood pulp paper, that is breaking up and too
fragile to rebind you might want to have them imaged for reference use.  Just
my two pence.  Dick King

Rikki Chesley wrote:

> Hello,
>     I am an archivist at a newspaper, and I am very new to the field.  As a
> matter of fact, I'm still in school.  So I need some advice from the list.
> We have some books that are very old and, of course, cannot be replaced.
> The condition of these books is deteriorating and I need to find a way to
> preserve them.  Do you have any suggestions?

begin:vcard
n:;
tel;cell:520.419.6577
tel;fax:520.889.5660
tel;work:520.889.5666
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:University of Arizona;Records Management and Archives
version:2.1
email;internet:kingr@u.arizona.edu
title:Director
adr;quoted-printable:;;University of Arizona=0D=0ARecords Management and Archives,=0D=0A250 E. Valencia Road=0D=0A;Tucson;AZ;85706;USA
end:vcard