Suit...ability of moderation?

>The lists hosted by that fine outfit are heavily moderated
>and require subscribers to APPLY for membership.

Actually, I believe application procedures depend on the list. I'm on
H-SOUTH, and was not required to go through a vetting process. And
moderators don't prevent argument -- heated discussions have raged on the
Confederate flag (if you can believe it :) ) and other hot button issues.

>and then the
>other, where you will find long threads of conversation on movies, pink
>dresses, and hotel accomodations.

No reason for two lists, as near as I can see from the H-Net example.
H-GRAD often has messages from grad students looking for temporary housing
in cities where they need to do research, and H-SOUTH featured a similar
discussion of "The Patriot."

Frankly, the "off-topic" discussions don't really bother me too much, but
moderators don't just catch those. Pointless "me too" messages, spam, posts
with the entire digest copied in the message, personal messages sent to the
list, and the occasional press release from the University of Arkansas
College Republicans would also be weeded out. As a grad student, I've found
this list to be quite interesting -- but it is also filled with more of the
dreck that I've described than any other list I'm on (and believe me, I'm
on way too many :) ). So, if anyone's keeping track, here's another vote
for H-Net style moderation. In the meantime, I'll grit my teeth and delete
the offers for internet phone service.

Aaron Marrs
University of South Carolina