Assistant Records and Information Manager
Briggs & Stratton Corporation
Milwaukee, WI

>>> Maria.Schoeberl@HARLEY-DAVIDSON.COM 07/31/00 11:55AM >>>
Please, let's not get started again on a thread of public humiliations,
rebukes, insults, and bickering.  Remember, friends come and go but enemies
accumulate.

...and many of us will be meeting in Denver.

-----Original Message-----
From: T Michael Womack [mailto:twom@LOC.GOV]
Sent: Monday, July 31, 2000 8:39 AM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: Re: papers of unelected presidents

Monday, 31 July 2000, 9:30 a.m.

Dear Ms. Boucher:

I am responding to your reference to "papers of unelected
presidents."  In reading the body of your message, I understand that
you are searching for repositories holding the papers of presidential
candidates who lost the election.  That is something very different
indeed.

Perhaps, in future, you should be more precise in defining your
subject.  The only unelected president in United States history was
Gerald R. Ford.  His papers are at the University of Michigan in Ann
Arbor, Michigan.

T. Michael Womack
Manuscript Division
Library of Congress

>>> "Bernadette A. Boucher" <balibra76@YAHOO.COM> 07/31 9:07 AM >>>
Hello there!

I am putting together an exhibit which focuses on U.S.
presidential candidates who LOST their elections.  In
my catalog, I'd like to include a list of repositories
who have relevant MS collections (i.e., the papers of
Henry Clay, or James M. Cox, or Adlai E. Stevenson).

I'm using Archives USA, NUCMC, and the Internet, but
if there are any archivists out there who work
with/know of significant collections, please let me
know (you could consider being mentioned in my catalog
as free advertisement of your collection!)

Thanks,

Bernadette  :)

=====
Bernadette A. Boucher, MLS (Rutgers, May 1999)
"It's alright to 'like books' but a librarian should like people."

balibra76@yahoo.com

Confidential e-mail for addressee only