 Date sent:             Mon, 31 Jul 2000 12:25:14 EDT
 Send reply to:         Archives & Archivists
 <>
 From:                  Margaret Shannon
 <ShannonRBL@AOL.COM>
 Subject:               Re: That Most Searing Day
 To:                    ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU

 You are to be pitied.

 More to the point, do you make a habit of using your
 government-provided email address
 [Jeff.OBrien@CITY.SASKATOON.SK.CA
 (O'Brien, Jeff (Clerks)) ] to make  inappropriate
 comments, which by
 inference, are attributable to the city of
 Saskatoon, Canada?

 An email address is no different from letterhead
 stationery.  The
 views you express via email are deemed to represent
 those of the
 government for whom you work, no matter whether you
 write that the
 views are your own (which you didn't) rather than
 those of the
 institution who is paying your salary and providing
 you the Internet
 access.  Do you really wish these intemperate
 remarks printed on the
 front page of the newspaper, Canadian or American?

 Margaret Shannon
 WASHINGTON HISTORICAL RESEARCH
 ShannonRBL@aol.com