Re: Howdy Doody

I checked InfoTrac, ProQuest, and Dialog@Carl (choosing NY Times, two LA papers, and Detroit paper) and found nothing after the May articles. So either a decision has not yet been announced or it has been announced so recently that the articles have not made it into the indexes.

Christine Crawford-Oppenheimer
Special Collections Librarian/Archivist

(note change of address as of May 2000)
Culinary Institute of America
1946 Campus Drive
Hyde Park, NY  12538
(914) 451-1757
c_crawfo@culinary.edu

>>> Dean DeBolt <ddebolt@MAIL.UWF.EDU> 08/01/00 12:23PM >>>
I have been trying to find out what happened in the Howdy
Doody puppet custody case in May 2000.  There are many
newpaper articles about the case, and the hearing before
the judge.   The basic arguments were that the puppet held
by Buffalo Bob and which came into the Rose family had been
destined for the Detroit Institute of the Arts.   The DIA sued the
families for custody.   This happened May 5 or 6, 2000.
The judge gave the attorneys two weeks to submit additional
information and pleas.

I cannot find anything more about this....and does anyone on
the list know the outcome of the case?    I found it interesting,
not because I grew up on "What time is it?"...but because the
case covered ownership (NBC?), intent of the donor which
had not been stipulated formally in writing, and heirship rights.

Dean

Dean DeBolt
University Librarian
Special Collections and West Florida Archives
John C. Pace Library
University of West Florida
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL  32514-5750
Tele:  850-474-2213;   Fax:  850-474-3338