Re: Surrogate--and a question on 856, 555, potential subfield in 53x etc

I often see the 53x used for microfilm, but it is not restricted to microfilm by
any means.  (See http://lcweb.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/ecbdnot1.html )  It's
used for photocopies and photographs, etc.  Also is the 843 (see
http://lcweb.loc.gov/marc/holdings/echdnote.html#mrch843 ) for serial type
stuff.

___________________
For those who want to see more discussion than you'd ever want to hear on MARC ,
the following query is for the strong of heart:

The above question may or may not tie into another question that has been on my
mind:
What I am seeing more of is 856 for digital surrogate.  SInce 555 can contain
links for finding aids (see http://lcweb.loc.gov/marc/marbi/1999/99-08.html for
the passage of this portion of 99-08 in June of last year; I've not seen this
incorporated into the MARC pages... perhaps someone can tell us why it's not
incorporated.  the pages have been updated since then),  I am hoping to see
discussion as to a more precise usage of the 856 which is currently being used
for any kind of digital stuff related to the item.  Will 856 become the field
for digital surrogate-- "is-ness"--if 555 becomes the standard field for digital
"supplemental" stuff, or "about-ness" information?  I'd also be interested in
hearing about how others are using these fields, specifically distinguishing
between when to use 555 and when to use 856.

For that matter, if URLs will be appearing in MARC fields according to
intellectual relationship as opposed to physical form, will this lead us to
using URL's in 53x's if MARBI approves?  (Lynn, did you bring this up on another
list? Richard?)

And who is identifying URL's in the 555?  To date the only ones I've seen are
the Bentley, where finding aid URLs occur in both the 555 and 856.  I know
others must be doing this, but I'd love to hear from those who are.

Holly Hodges