Education for Future Reference Archivist

To the reference archivists out there:

I am interested in becoming a reference archivist. I would like to know what
kind of education you think is necessary for this career. There is an MLS
program close to where I live, but there is no archives specialization.
There is no master's in history program in my area. I am considering a move
to be close to an MLS program with an archives specialization/history
dual-degree program. This would be a big move out of state. I want the MLS
one way or another. My BA is in English, not history, I might add.

My question is this: Do you think it is necessary to get the archives
concentration for reference work in an archives? (Is it necessary for the
job? Would I be looked over by prospective employers?) I have volunteered at
an historical society for quite some time and realize that there are a lot
of arrangement schemes, so I have some limited experience that I could build
upon for a future job. I would rather stay where I currently live, although
I am mobile, if need be.

Any advice from you would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Alexandria