Re: In Search of the Humourous Archivist

Well, this was funny when I performed it at a party for our volunteers in
the mid 1990's (many people laughed until they cried).  I hope it isn't
something you had to have been there (in our particular archival setting) to
enjoy.  Any here it is.  First, the intro, then the song ...

Phone Conversation with THE EAGLES

LYNN: Desperado is one of my favorite songs.  Tell me a little background of
the song.

EAGLES: Well, it was originally titled Genealogist.  It was about a
hard-core researcher who lets everything go to do only family history
research.

LYNN: How did it get changed to Desperado?

EAGLES: The cowboy thing was all the rage at the time.  The record company
felt it would have a wider audience.  Sales is always tops with them.

LYNN: How did you feel about that?

EAGLES: Even though it was a big hit, we felt the changes cramped our
artistic voice.  We filed a suit for release from our $20 million dollar
contract and found a different company.

LYNN: Could I sing the original words at our Volunteer appreciation party?

EAGLES: We'd be honored.

                                GENEALOGIST (to the tune of Desperado)

                                Genealogist
                                Why don't you come to your senses
                                You've been here reading census
                                For too long I say...

                                Because we're closing
                                And we must ask you to leave now
                                But we're open tomorrow at
                                The same time of day.

                                Try the county records, man
                                They'll help you if they're able.
                                The census soundex is always your best bet.
                                Seems to me some good things have been laid
upon your table
                                Yet you only want ones that you can't get.

                                Genealogist
                                Well, you ain't getting any younger.
                                Your desire to acquire is driving you here.
                                Free vault access?  Well, that's just some
people
talking.
                                All patrons must access through the card
catalogues.

                                Research room's warm in the winter time
                                The time don't show 'cause the sun don't
shine
                                It's hard to tell the nighttime from the
day.
                                In logging all your reference notes
                                It is funny how the time just slips away.

                                Genealogist
                                Why don't you come to your senses
                                Come off of that reader
                                Turn off the light!

                                It may be hard now
                                But there's vast sources before you
                                Better let staff members help you
                                Let volunteers help you.
                                You better let somebody help you
                                Before it's too late.

Copyright 1993, Lynn Ewbank.

Feel free to use this with credit given to Lynn Ewbank, Arkansas History
Commission.

Lynn Ewbank, photo archivist
Arkansas History Commission
One Capitol Mall