X Rays destruction advice needed

We accept a small amount of medical records for temporary retention from our Health Services Dept.
Some of these records include large X rays.
At the time of scheduled destruction, the paper records are shredded (by us, using our little wastebasket-top shredder). The X rays just sit there because nobody knows how to dispose of them, plus they would seriously injure our little shredder.
In my zeal to throw stuff out, I have decided to tackle this long-ignored issue. I have been told by certain medical staff here that if I shred or cut them in any way (slicing them with a slicer, for example, into smaller unrecognizable pieces) then they become "bio health hazards". This seems a little too Robin-Cook to me.

How are others disposing of or destroying X-rays?
I want these things out of here.
Many thanks.

p.s. the subjects of the x rays are deceased.