Encoded Archival Description

I am helping to assess the feasibility of implementing Encoded Archival Description (EAD) and have found many sources explaining the immediate and future benefits of doing so.  I have also uncovered a wealth of material concerning the nuts-and-bolts procedures used to implement EAD.  However, I have not been able to find many pieces written by archivists who either have reservations about EAD or are convinced that EAD is fundamentally flawed.

I realize that many archivists are choosing not to implement EAD at this time because of lack of staff time, training, and other resources.  Has anyone decided not to implement because, s/he is convinced that EAD has serious shortcomings?  If so, I would like to know what these shortcomings are and what alternatives to making finding aids accessible were chosen.

If you prefer not to "go public" with this information, please feel free to respond privately to me at <bweddle@mail.nysed.gov>.

Thanks!

Bonita L. Weddle
Documentary Heritage Services