Disposal of tolulene

Greetings--I just discovered I had inherited a small bottle of tolulene,
which I seem to remember is a fairly nasty chemical used in some art and
archival applications.  Since I don't know how to use it safely in an
archival setting, I'd just as soon get rid of it.  I'd appreciate
enlightenment on what it's used for, why it's nasty, and why I should ask
the chemistry department to safely dispose of it for me rather than dumping
it down the sink in the staff lounge!  Thanks in advance--

Sally Childs-Helton, Ph.D.
Special Collections/Rare Books Librarian
Butler University Libraries
4600 Sunset Avenue
Indianapolis, IN 46208
317-940-9265/Fax 371-940-8039