Re: copyright questions

The site Christine notes below should be bookmarked by anyone who curates manuscripts and archival material... I've referred to it countless times!

Another item that I feel ought to be in every archivist's administrative file is"

"Recent Changes to the Copyright Law:  Copyright Term Extension" by Peter B. Hirtle, in Archival Outlook, Jan/Feb 1999 issue.  This provides an excellent background summary of what copyright details used to involve, what it looks like now, after the 1998 extension, the various exemptions that librarians and archivists whould be aware of, and some of the concerns that we will have to be dealing with from now on...
This includes a chart with more details than the site cited below, outlining passage into public domain for a number of situations of renewal/nonrenewal/publication with notice/publication without notice for a myriad of combinations for material between 1923 and 1978.

Truly a must!

Holly Hodges
UTChattanooga