Caribbean archives

I need some assistance in helping a doctoral student find manuscript
materials from the French colonial period in the Caribbean.  She is most
interested in the countries of Haiti (San Domingue), Guadeloupe, and
Martinique.  Her period of study is the 17th and 18th centuries (1600-1800).
She would like to see memoirs, letters, civil and church records, and other
archives or collections that will assist her research into the culture of
these areas at that time.  I have not had much luck locating archival
repositories on these islands.  It is even possible that some of the records
were moved back to France at some point in history.  I attempted to search
the Bibliotheque Nationale de France but had difficulty getting the to
manuscript collection descriptions using an English interface.  Beyond
possible archives in the Caribbean and France, she is also hoping to find
collections held in US institutions.  As a graduate student she is on a
limited travel budget.

Thanks in advance for any help.  Please feel free to respond directly to me
or to the list.

Ruthanne D. Vogel
Research Services and Digital Collections Librarian
Archives and Special Collections, University of Miami Library
P.O. Box 248214
Coral Gables, FL  33124
(305) 284-3580
Fax: (305) 665-7352