Re: newsprint

Morning, Amy-

Food treats not mentioned so far are those Southwest favorites rattlesnake
and prickly pear jelly, not necessarily consumed together. On the very
serious side, Indian frybread is wonderful stuff that you eat with powdered
sugar or honey, or you can create a very large, puffy taco with it.

As far as newspapers and clippings are concerned, the general consensus is
that they are pretty much doomed from the start. We usually photocopy
clippings we find in collections and toss the originals, but you may not be
able to do that. Preservation microfilming is the usual alternative.

For storing newsprint, keep it in the dark if possible, because it is very
sensitive to light, and keep it cold. Since the expected life of paper
declines by over half for every increase of 9 degrees F, dropping the temp
can have a dramatic effect over time. Deacidification may be warranted in a
few cases, but it is expensive, so you really get more bang for your bucks
by creating a benign environment.

Michael McColgin
Conservation Officer
Arizona History and Archives Division