Re: newsprint

Try out http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/

Preservation of newsprint is a hot/polarised topic these days. Opinions vary on whether to preserve the paper or simply reformat (microfilm or digital or both). The Nicholson Baker article on newspapers in the New Yorker has inflamed discussion/opinion. Some newsprint (high rag content) is going to last a long time. Wood-pulp and poorly processed acidic paper will simply crumble at a touch. Preservation of the original--if possible and affordable--may be preferable to photocopy and toss-----it all depends upon your situation and the condition of the materials. Boxing the items, keeping them cold, dry, insect-free. Encapsulation of acidic items is frowned upon, I guess---but if it is the only way to handle them.....

Matthew Gilmore

dcplgem_a@yahoo.com

  Amy McCrory <mccrory.7@POSTBOX.ACS.OHIO-STATE.EDU> wrote:

What a great list this is! I've only been subscribed for 10 days, and
already I've read a short essay on the foodways of my new state (I'm a
transplant from Georgia), learned how to use melon rinds for sunscreen, and
seen a terrific photo of a pioneer kitchen disaster. Not to mention
learning which beers, wines, and liquors go with which foods.

I am wondering if anyone can refer me to technical articles or other good
information on the preservation and storage of newsprint. I am processing
a large collection consisting of newspapers, clippings, and tear
sheets--mostly clippings and tear sheets--dating from the late 19th century
to the mid-1990s. I searched this list's Web-based archive, and found some
postings on this subject from about 3 years back, but no references to
articles or case studies.

At present, I am primarily interested in methods of storage, not
deacidification treatment. I already have some ideas about how to house
the items, but I would be really interested in hearing from others about
what you have read or done.

Amy McCrory
Project Archivist
Cartoon Research Library