Re: Social responsibility

I don't know if Dennis Who? is just having fun with this list, or if he really is perturbed about the identity of "Rick Barry."  In case he's genuinely puzzled, let me share what I've discovered in the past few minutes.

I don't know Mr. Barry, but he's not very hard to find.  A quick google search identified a variety of sites associated with "Rick Barry archivist" (my search terms) and indicate that he has had a good deal of experience with archives and the new technologies.

In case anyone wonders what sorts of things the not-very-mysterious Mr. Barry does, here's an excerpt from one of the sites listed by google.

Sally Gibson

Catching Up with the Last Technology Train at the Next Station

          by Richard E. Barry

Rick Barry, Principal of Barry Associates, is an internationally recognised authority in the field of information management, records management and electronic records. He may be remembered from the RMAA 1996 Convention in Canberra and subsequent workshops. More recently, he has had engagements with the United Nations       Headquarters, the International Council for Archives, the US Department of Justice, and provided consultancy services  to the Electronic Records Work Group set up by the US National Archivist.

          ABSTRACT

racking developments in other disciplines and emerging technologies provides one means for  recordkeeping professionals to avoid being  ertaken by technological change, and concurrently permits  proactive innovation to adapt to such change, using the technology in the interests of organisational
business. The technologies discussed include multimedia, the implications of the Internet and internets, the World Wide Web, intranets and extranets, Web-enabled recordkeeping systems, Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems, and Thin-Client technology, suggesting some recordkeeping implications for them.

 Sally Gibson
     Archivist

     City of Toronto Archives
     255 Spadina Road
     Toronto, Ontario
     Canada  M5R 2V3

    tel.:      (416) 392-5561
    fax:      (416) 392-9685
    email:  sgibson0@city.toronto.on.ca

>>> Dennis Moser <aldus@angrek.com> 09/06/00 07:58am >>>
According to the web site for this list (
http://www.topica.com/lists/Progarchs/ ), there are 51  lost souls
subscribed to this unmoderated, readable by all, no owner-approval required
list (Ain't democracy/technology grand!?). Interestingly, this list
software apparently does NOT allow a listing of the list members (for
whatever reason...nothing neccessarily nefarious there).

In the name of social responsibility, will the "real" _RICKBARRY@aol.com_
or   _rcox@mail.sis.pitt.edu_ stand up? Last I heard,
"rcox@mail.sis.pitt.edu" was the official email address for one Richard
Cox, whose public persona is well documented as follows:

>Richard J. Cox
>Professor
>Department of Library and Information Sciences
>School of Information Sciences
>University of Pittsburgh
>Pittsburgh, PA 15260
>Voice:  412-624-3245
>FAX:    412-648-7001
>e-mail: rcox@mail.sis.pitt.edu
>homepage: http://www.lis.pitt.edu/~rjc

...is someone having fun on someone else's email account? Does Rick Barry
really speak for Richard Cox, and so uses his email addres to post his
messages? Or is this Richard Cox's alter ego? Wondering...

Dennis "Who ARE you?" Moser

mailto:aldus@angrek.com
"That so few now dare to be eccentric, marks the chief danger of the time"
--John Stuart Mill (1806-73)